Saturday, June 14, 2008

June Garden












Here's the same garden- fast forward to June! Tomatoes sprawling everywhere! I only planted them in one bed, but they sprouted like crazy from my food compost. I have done nothing- organic or otherwise about Florida's pests- therefore my garden is full of caterpillars, stink bugs and spiders! I've been picking them off when I can, and I think my harvest is winning over their munching, although my veggies are not walking away unscathed. Wild garden!
Next growing season, I'm going to:
~ add many new long slender beds
~ leave more room between rows
~ leave more room between plants!
~ test the soil
~ put down weed barrier between beds
~ make 6ft. tall growing rings out of metal fencing


These items are on my wish list for the autumn garden:



lettuces/salad greens
cabbage
Chard
beets
carrots
radishes
broccoli
cauliflower
kale
garlic
snow peas
garden peas
parsley
cilantro
onions
cherry tomatoes (although technically a summer veggie)

I'd also like to possibly plant some quick to harvest veggies between now and September, but I'm a little puzzled as to the best crops for Florida midsummer.

No comments: